Tuesday
ELA: Today, we took a short break from the Narratives that they have been working so hard on to focus on our skills with compare and contrast through Fractured Fairy Tales. The students shared out the story elements of what they remember from the original story of the 3 Little Pigs. After we refreshed our memories, I showed them a reading of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka. During the clip, the students filled out a venn diagram comparing/contrasting the 2 stories. They noted elements like characters, plot, setting, resolution, etc. After they finished, I asked them what the term fractured fairy tales means? I got some good answers out of this one! For the follow up activity the students paired up with a chromebook and went to readwritethink.org to brainstorm how to create their own fractured fairy tale out of 3 original fairy tale stories. They had a great time collaborating on the stories and truly made them their own! When they finished, they picked up where they left off with their narrative. :)
SS: Student finished creating their flag, route maps and scrolls for their Europeans. They will start creating their "life-size" European Explorer tomorrow. They have been so creative so far! Can't wait to share their final products!
Monday
ELA: Today, I gave the students the challenge of sorting a scrambled paragraph into a coherent one. I gave them 15 minutes to work with a partner to unscramble it correctly. To motivate them to work quickly and efficiently I told them I would give them a prize if they finished before time was up. Right at the last second, all students were finished in both classes before the timer went off! Whew. They each got a piece of candy for their victory. It's the small things, right? :) It gave them good practice with understanding how a paragraph is structured.
Afterwards, I taught them how to form a strong concluding paragraph. This is the hardest part of a story to teach because in the conclusion, you aren't suppose to add any new information. This is challenging for the students because they are still in the early stages of developing their summarizing/restating skills. I created a short paragraph that compares it to how a pie is structured: The Crust - restate the main event of the story, The Filling - review major points of the story and The Topping - your closing thought
I am eager to review their final drafts this week!
SS: Students finished their research in their groups. They split up the jobs for creating elements of their project. The slide is shown below. Their creativity is really shining!! Pictures to come soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment